Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Missing in action...2 x 5.5mm hooks

Sorry to have been so quiet of late. I've taken a few days' hols from work, so watch out soon for an orchard idyll in Norfolk; a visit to The Other Place (aka Oxford)and a capital adventure. Lots of pictures and words to follow.

But in those 3 trips I managed to lose not just one but 2 very precious 5.5mm crochet hooks! As these are the ones from which I make my endless supplies of sea anemone pots, I'm distraught. I do have other hooks but they aren't so good for hands that do overtime.

My beloved Susan Bates silverlume vanished from my lap on the X5 bus...I lay flat on the floor of the bus to hunt for it. I checked the interstices of the interstices of all the seats. But it had fled. I think it must have slid to the front of the bus and escaped when it stopped at Bedford.

Once we arrived in Oxford I had to buy an emergency Pony hook to keep my hands going. Yesterday, though, I visited the fabled I Knit London where I got a magnificent Clover soft touch hook. This got used as Liz and I crocheted and knitted together at the Royal Festival Hall; and again as we did the same on the train back to Cambridge. At Cambridge station, however, I made a fatal mistake. I heard a clatter as I left the station loos. I hunted round, and couldn't see anything, but when I got home I found that I no longer had my lovely new hook...

Curses! Now I'm going to have to use the emergency back-up hook again. (And even that made a break for it at the RFH)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't panic! I have 5 (yes, count them, 5) susan bates silvalume 5.5mm hooks. I can send you 2, so that you still have a spare. email me your address. unfortunately, they will both be pale blue, I don't have them in a variety of colours...
I think i have quite a few (um, seems like 5 again) 4.5mm ones as well, as they were hard to come by for a while, would you like one of those as well?

jayne said...

Oh Rosie - sounds like you've got the knitting gremlins as well!

Rosie said...

Wow, thanks for your brilliant offer, thereyougothen, I've pm'd you via Ravelry! And Jayne, I've not just got knitting gremlins...I've just killed the spring on my spinning wheel (don't ask).

picperfic said...

oh dear Rosie...sorry about the spring too..looks like you have a guardian angel of crochet hooks though!

Ally Jay said...

Sorry to hear your run of losing things. I am so glad someone came to the rescue. There's nothing worse. I keep losing my beloved bamboos but I at least now who the culprits are. Daughters who have caught the knitting bug and now are stealing my supplies.

Daisy said...

Oh NO! I always found the heating vents on Central trains were lethal for DPNs...

Tempewytch said...

Ouch I hate it when that happens! I remember being out with Ota and I managed to lose BOTH the needles I had with me for cross-stitch!